View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 4, 2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post

Many, many, many folks really, really need a transplant. It is truly the very best option for many people. I fully expect that I will have one, and I admire and value the wonderful folks who have shared the good, the bad, and the ugly of their transplant experience on these forums, so we all can learn.

But, when I hear that a doctor has advised transplant for a patient with no clinically significant symptoms, no transfusion requirements, and excellent quality of life, it pretty much curls my hair, after which steam starts shooting out of my ears.
I think we're on the same page here, Greg. You have to look at the overall effect such a process is going to have on a person's quality of life. Sometimes it's worth the risk, but if there's no clear benefit to be gained, then everybody needs to look at that honestly.

And thanks for the link to Dr. Kalaycio's talk. That was one I hadn't watched yet, and it was excellent. He really lays it all on the table, and I hope that anyone who is considering a transplant will take the time to watch it. He actually had a chart of the criteria he uses to determine at what point someone becomes a suitable candidate for SCT. I think that may help answer some of your questions too, Janice.