View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 04:33 PM

Talking Should you go for BMT?

I am 58 years old, also with chromosomal abnormality on 15 and hypo cellular bone marrow of 15%. Diagnosed SAA in UK September 2010, had ATG November 2010 and still receiving blood transfusions and cyclosporin. ATG did not work, but have remained relatively stable although transfusion dependent. Retired from work as teacher cos ANC less than 0.5 and kids really good at passing on infections! Asked about BMT cos have four siblings not tested as yet but got told don't cos am stable, and the risks are in excess of 30% mortality in first year and rising to nearly 50% after two years of BMT. This was Kings in London which is UK's centre of excellence giving this advice. There are days when I want all the crap to be over and I think BMT would sort it one way or the other, and other days when I feel the docs might have bothered at least to check my siblings. In general medicine progresses all the time and not going for BMT straightaway as your first course of treatment would not statistically affect your overall chances says my Statistics daughter. Suspect she may be biased! Wish you well, hope your disease goes into remission on its own and that you are spared these horrid choices. Either way there is always plenty of support on this site especially when you are at your lowest. I should know!