View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 8, 2011, 01:24 AM

Like most people, I initially thought the 70-80% response rate cited for ATG meant full recovery. I soon found out it doesn't mean that. The impression I've gotten from subsequent reading was that anything above transfusion level qualifies as a response. What your son's doctor is telling you is somewhat higher than that, Edith.

A couple of things I've learned, however, are that a) the human body has a remarkable capacity to adjust itself and compensate for lower than normal counts, and b) that counts can continue to improve for years after ATG treatment. Ken's over 5 years out from his second round, and it's only been in the last 6 months that his Plts have been in the normal range. His WBCs still haven't quite gotten there, but they're getting close. Hgb has been good on its own for the last 3 years or so, but before that he was using Procrit to keep it there. It would be a mistake to look at any set of labs at a given point in time and assume that that's the way it's going to be from now on.

BTW, has anyone come across any statistics for complete remission after ATG? I don't think I've ever seen any figures for that, just "response".