View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 30, 2011, 06:01 PM

Hi edithr,

My son went back to school (college) almost immediately after his ATG, but was warned that being in a crowded place such as a lecture theatre or a tutorial class might be bad as it is easier to catch an infectious disease such as a cough or flu due to low neutrophils. But he went ahead nevertheless.

The outstanding difficulty is, apart from the danger of catching a cold and flu that after ATG, the three bloodlines deteriorated. Once the red blood cell counts drop as a result post-ATG, my son could hardly mount a flight of stairs to his tutorial class - he was almost unable to walk the usual steps to the classroom, and came home extremely distressed and for once, began to look me in the eye and asked,"Dad, am I going to die?". That was when I broke down and cried.

Yes, I agree that with your son has the advantage of youth with him. But by and large, if you decide to allow your son to return to school immediately post ATG, be aware and be prepared for these two main things that commonly occur - the dangers of a low neutrophils, and lack of breath and stamina due to low red cell count post ATG.

I will recommend that you get a therapeutic air filter for him as it helped my son tremendously, to ensure a better air quality for him during the recovery process.

I wish your son all the best, and I pray also for his speedy recovery.
Peter Lim, Dad to Stan, age 17 at time of dx Feb 2002VSAA; tx. ATG, cyclosporine, predisone; alternative herbal supplm & shark liver oil, off all meds 5/2002 normal blood counts. Only on shark liver oil.