View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 06:36 PM

Hi, many years ago I used to insert IVs for a private company.

As other people have mentioned. Drink WARM fluids, dress warmly, use a heat pack and the one I found best...if you can, go for a bit of a jog or do some vigorous exercise (I used to love coming along after the physiotherapist had just given the patient a workout). This one is only for people with ashtma...veins seem to dilate after using ventolin, I never did work out why. Years ago we used to put GTN cream on flat veins....poor patients, imagine the headache...ouch. Don't forget to use gravity, hang the arm down over the side of the bed then place the tourniquet and leave hanging down for 2 to 3 minutes.

One of the "tricks" I was taught was to use the blood pressure machine (manual, not automatic). Pump the cuff up to above the systolic pressure, effectively cutting off the blood to the arm. Leave the cuff at that pressure for about 20 to 30 seconds. Release the pressure entirely and IMMEDIATELY pump the cuff up to about 20 above the diastolic pressure. Locate the vein.

It's too long ago, I can't remember the rest of the tricks but there were heaps of them. Nothing worse than HAVING to get IV access at 3 in the morning and no one to back you up if you can't get the IV in....except maybe being the patient.

Regards
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion