View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 5, 2012, 02:47 PM

Without Diagnosis and early stages (hypoplastic MDS or AA)

Hello,

I am currently without a diagnosis as my first biopsy was a "suboptimal" sample. My hematologist has narrowed it down to either hypoplastic MDS or AA. I'm scheduled for another BMB on this coming Monday, under sedation this time. I was just wondering if there are other people who have been diagnosed in the early stages of the disease and if they have any advice on how to plan your life in the future.

I'm 25 years old, just passed the bar exam in New York, and I recently moved to London to get my masters of law in September. I have at least another six months in London, and I would love to start applying for jobs and have a life, but I feel as though I can't plan on anything without knowing first what I have and second when or if I will get sicker. My hematologist seems reluctant to give me an idea as to what my future might be like.

Any other advice on dealing with this disease would be greatly appreciated. Any advice on dealing with lower blood counts, low energy, and being away from family and having to take care of yourself.

Last BMB showed less than 5% cellularity, last CBC: WBC 3 RBC 2.73 HGB 10.2 PLT 74 (they finally went up! have been in low 60s) HCT 29. Normal cytogenetics.

Thank you for any help,

Catherine