View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 06:10 AM

Finally a Diagnosis

So it has finally been determined that it is MDS with multi-lineage dysplasia with no increase in cell blasts.

My counts have all gone up since two weeks ago.

PLT 89, RBC 3.38, WBC 3.50, HG 12, HCT .36

Since my counts seem to be relatively stable and not so low to require any immediate treatment, it seems that I have to wait until I get worse.

My doc said my possible choices were ATG or bone marrow transplant, but doesn't want to do either yet since I'm still doing ok. Does anyone have any advice on waiting and deciding on treatment?

I go in on Thursday for MRI to see why my tailbone hurts, and Friday for a full body scan to see if there is anything causing my fever.

I see my doctor again next week after they have seen the scans.

I'm trying to stay calm. but even though the doctor said I have a low risk type of MDS, since I am so young, I have many years for it to develop and become more malignant. Has anyone else had the experience of catching the disease early and waiting for a certain period of time before doing a bone marrow transplant? Should I be considering it?

Thank you for all your help and responses, it helps to know there is a community out there that understands what it feels like to go through with this strange disease.