View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 09:09 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaka View Post
She just informed me that she called the Dr. on Wednesday, but he never called back. She is angry, but she didn't call his office again. How do I get her to see that she needs to be more proactive or more importantly, let me do it for her.

Yaka
Yaka,

That's a tough problem because you dealing with very long-standing roles in your relationship. She's "the mom" and you are "the child" (no matter how old you are). The role reversal that it takes for a parent to accept their child's help is a tough adjustment, especially for seniors when they are already under stress and used to being more independent.

I think a gradual approach may have the best result. If yours is like many family situations I've seen, you can't take control -- she'll resent it -- but you can sympathize and be an ally, for example offering to follow up with the doctor if she didn't get an answer or a test result. After a period of getting your help in routine ways she may start expecting to rely on you more, and you'll be able to steer her into the best approach to take with her doctors.

I know it's yet another worry for you, but I hope your mom will learn to give you that new trust, and accept that you can help her take care of herself.