View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 04:18 AM

Hello Sasba, from what you've mentioned I'd say your son is doing quite well. He is transfusion free, but platelets are lagging behind? When you say regulate, do you mean within "normal" counts? I don't think it's as important that they reach "normal" levels as it is that they're simply not dropping. Sometimes the upward climb happens quickly and at other times it takes a while. It may vary from patient to patient. Many who are doing quite well never really reach "normal" counts again. Their new normal sometimes is lower and they function and live quite "Normal" lives.

I'm sure your son's Dr. mentions BMT only as an option that is on the sideline should it be needed. It takes time to get things rolling so they try to have all the necessary information, tests, etc. beforehand just in case you have to go to Plan "B". Sometimes finding a suitable donor can take months, so they like to start the search asap "Just in Case" it's needed.

If there's a piece of advice I can share with you, it would be to be patient and take it one day at a time. Thus far you're doing the right thing by asking questions. We're all here to help each other....

Take care