View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 12:59 AM

Hi, just letting you know that I've had the port replaced. I was awake through the removal of the old port and placing the new port although I was given IV Fentanyl to prevent pain. It took about 3-3.5 hours all up.

The old port was very hard to remove and the Doctor had to cut it away from the scarring. When he finally got it out he gave a whoop of joy. The new port is now on the left side. The port itself was placed under the clavicle and centrally to the incision which runs longitudinally (ie direction head to toe) and about 4 cms from the incision. He then punctured the jugular in the neck and tunnelled the catheter up to that puncture and threaded it down the jugular and into the SVC. All incisions are sutured and I need to have them removed in about 10 days. There is extensive bruising and swelling and quite a lot of oozing. I've already had the dressings changed twice.

The good news...it was almost completely painless. The only bit that was a bit uncomfortable was when the Doctor was stitching the larger incision of the new port. He mustn't have injected enough local anaesthetic and I could feel him stitching (very sharp) but I thought it didn't matter because it wasn't too bad and I tossed up whether it was worth more local anaesthetic for a few more stitches...I decided it wasn't.

Every test and procedure is a learning experience.