View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 9, 2012, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Dear Kassandra,

You've told a harrowing story here. I hope that now that you've found Marrowforums you will feel supported to (1) change doctors immediately and (2) look forward to a time when you will be able to put all of this behind you. There are many survivors here (I am one of them) and many, many more living productive lives despite having a bone marrow failure disease like aplastic anemia.

Hopeful has recommended Dr. Paquette, who is indeed wonderful. His specialty is MDS, but I'm sure you'd be in good hands if UCLA is convenient to you.

My advice is to schedule an appointment to see Dr. Stephen Forman at City of Hope. He is the world's leading expert on bone marrow transplantation. If Dr. Forman is not available, see anyone on his team. All hematology cases are reviewed by Dr. Forman and his doctors. I've been a patient at City of Hope since 1996 and just celebrated the 14th anniversary of my transplant. I owe them my life and cannot recommend them highly enough for treating the whole person, not just the disease.

In any case, you need to have a new hematologist immediately. A doctor who gets mad at you cannot and should not be trusted to keep your well-being front and center. Did you ever have a bone marrow biopsy to confirm a diagnosis of aplastic anemia?

I hope that after you've read some of the threads about aplastic anemia here at Marrowforums, you'll feel encouraged to find a new path and move toward recovering your health. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have and address your considerable concerns.

Regards,
Ruth