View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 8, 2010, 10:29 PM

More notes on the NIH Campath Trial

The trial that this abstract references is the one I will be participating in a week from today. The Principal Investigator sent me a copy of the full article; here are my notes:

Notes on the NIH Campath Study JCO Article

Overall, 68% hematologic improvement (HI) or complete response (CR)
Among INT-1, 77% HI or CR
Among INT-2, 57% HI or CR
81% with HLA-DR15+ responded vs 40% of HLA-DR15-

Among responders:
11% CR in 3 months
18% CR in 6 months
56% CR in 12 months
Median time to any response: 3 months

78% of RBC anemics in the trial were transfusion independent after one year.

Of 21 who responded, 71% are still responding.
6 relapsed and four of those responded to CsA

Temporary Impact on Blood Counts -
35% (11) Anemia
10% (3) neutropenia
39% (12) Thrombocytopenia
All resolved within three months.

75% (24) had infusion reactions -- rigors, malaise.

40% (13) Patients were hospitalized for infections (but the principle investigator in an email exchange told me these were largely folks who were neutropenic before the trial and, as a result, had already been hospitalized for infection before Campath. The post-trial hospitalization was only "possibly" related to Campth. Only one of the 32 patients had an infection "probably" related to the trial -- a reactivation of a prior case of shingles.

Epstein-Barr Virus was reactivated in 48% of those who were positive for it and CMV was reactivated in 23% of those positive for it, but no one got sick from either and both virus populations returned to normal in a median of a couple of weeks.

Those are the highlights. I'd attach a copy of the article, but I'm not sure I can do that given copyright restrictions. If you want a copy email me and I'll send it along. I'm sure that doesn't violate copyright.

Take Care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com