View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 17, 2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra View Post
Ron,

It does seem that having lower than average platelets would lessen the chances of blood clots, but that's not the only factor involved. Risk factors for clots include slow blood flow, excess substances in the blood, injuries, age, weight, and of course certain black marks in your medical history. Even being tall is considered to be a risk factor for blood clots! Perhaps your platelet level kept a clot from forming sooner.

In any case, the issue now is how to take care of it. What is the treatment plan?
Hi Neil and evansmom,
Thanks for the posts and suggestions. Rather than have my family doc treat me for the clots I opted to see the hematologist who cared for my lymphoma and AA. He thinks the lymphoma isn't a factor in the blood clots and has seen others with PLT levels less than mine develop clots. I was put on Coumadin in the hospital and am having a really hard time getting the level low enough to stop my bruising, nosebleeds, and hematomas. He has cut the Coumadin down from 5 mg twice a day to 1 mg one day and half mg the next. Maybe my platelet count IS a factor in attaining the correct level for the blood thinner.
Neil, I'm sure there are lots of factors that go into the risk formula for thrombosis and embilism. I guess ultimately, life is a risk factor! The longer we live here the more there is gaining on us, statisticly. I wasn't aware of anything I could have done to lessen my risks but am activly committed to treatment even if it means wearing support hose indefinitely:-(
I think all activity or inactivity is a compromise. I exercise for my heart and risk bruise and hemorrhage from thin blood-- Guess lots of decisions boil down to enlightened judgement versus Quality of Life.
Thanks
Flyguy-Ron