View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:31 PM

Smile One year Post Mini MUD SCT & All is Normal

Hi, I just completed my one year check up with the Fred Hutchinson Long Term Followup team and am so happy to report my BMB and lab results are normal. The SAA is definitely gone, I have 100% donor chimerism, 30-40% cellularity & normal cells & maturation in all 3 lines. So my mini MUD SCT worked. Time to celebrate!!

I'm still on a small dose of Cyclosporine (50mg 2xday) & have stopped the taper for now because I developed some moderate oral GVHD 2 weeks ago, but its such a low dose & hopefully I can restart the taper soon. (I'm also still doing monthly phlebotomies).

15 months ago, when I had to make a decision about moving forward with my MUD transplant after the Horse ATG failed to work for me, I really struggled with my decision. I had to switch off my fears and move past my worry about the high risks associated with my age. I wanted to enter my transplant confident and with positive energy. Today I feel very thankful that I was fortunate to have a perfect donor, that my husband was an amazing caregiver, and I had an excellent medical team. I will never take any of these gifts for granted, nor all the research which has made it possible to manage AA so much more successfully than in the past.

For those struggling with AA, hang in there, be your own advocate & if you're able, find a medical team who knows how to manage & treat this crazy disease.

Cheers, Dena