View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 26, 2015, 05:55 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek6 View Post
Sad to hear you situation. Only I can understand what you are going through. My new born girl is suffering from similar situation of suspected congenital sideroblastic anemia, low MCV, high iron parameters, constantly dropping hemoglobin, low retic, but ruled out thalassemia. She is on monthly blood transfusion support since her birth on 11-07-2015. The doctor has planned BM aspiration at 10months of age.

Would you like to give any advice to avoid multiple bone marrow aspirations?
startrek6,

It's most important to find out what to do for your daughter, so some tests will likely be necessary. With any test, however, it's worth discussing and understanding the need for the test ahead of time. Tests, especially invasive or expensive ones, should be given only when they can produce information that can determine treatments.

I suggest that you ask if anesthesia will be used for the bone marrow aspiration procedure, which this article says is routine for infants. If you seek a second opinion on her condition, my advice is to get copies of test results (including the bone marrow aspiration) and take them to the other doctor, rather than letting any tests be repeated.