View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 26, 2022, 10:38 AM

My mother had another jump in blood 10-11 days after a transfusion. This has happened several times in the past. I am hoping that it holds this time. I'd like her to go around 3 weeks without blood. In March, she went almost a month without blood (could have made it, although she would have been in the high 6's or or very low 7's).

No doctor can explain to us what is going on. Why a year later with hemoglobin all over the place? Why no stability? Neutrophils and hemoglobin levels have bizarrely strange fluctuations. Only platelets are stable (always very, very low). What does this signify? My mother's doctor consults with Dr. Young at times, but he only recommended what to do if things don't get better (Campath infusion). I forgot - he did say that she did respond to ATG, but no real stabilization has happened (although her neutrophils were 1200 were four straight months). My mother's doctor says that every aplastic anemic's course is very different. It's best to not compare to other people, as every case is very different from person to person.

I don't even know if my mother is recovering, despite wild swings in blood and good neutrophils at times. All that we can do is wait a few more months. My mother will not do Campath just for the platelet line.

I think the doctor did say that any response to ATG - no matter how minimal - makes it much more likely that the person will have a response to future immunosuppressant therapy. She said that Campath is stronger, and that is what she may end up needing (as Dr. Young suggested).