View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 29, 2009, 05:46 PM

Question I need help, My Dad has been diagnosed with MDS Unspecified

Hello,

My Dad is 88 years old and for months has been feeling weak and out of breath, significant weight loss, bruising easily and is very depressed. He is not your typical "old" guy..he still works full time and used to lead an active life...until recently. I just reviewed the Dr. Dx and is is MDS unspecified.

He has been through every test known to man, and is healthy otherwise. He was just started on a regime of Epogen injections once a week for 5 weeks. When he went for his 2nd injection, his blood count dropped from 10.4 to 9.4.

I do not know blast % and his hematologist doesn't explain anything to my Dad . All my Dad knows is he is anemic and these injections are going to "fix" it.

I want to do everything I can to improve his quality of life and need help as to how to be more involved...he does not want me to go to the Dr. with him..

He is my world.....and I have been doing research and reading all I can.....
Should he get a transfusion now, should he keep up with the injections, Shark Liver oil...etc...

I just feel so powerless while my best friend is withering away.......help please!!!!