View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 6, 2010, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Twelve Years Since BMT

Dear Friends,

Today I'm celebrating the 12th anniversary of my matched unrelated donor bone marrow transplant for MDS. I remain as grateful to my donor today as I was back in 1998, but with the passage of years comes an even greater appreciation of what it means to have been given the chance to live a fully active and healthy life.

I didn't write a message last year on my 11th anniversary because my family was struggling through some difficult times (illnesses, injuries, and death) and it just didn't seem like there was a lot to be celebrating. This year, I'm happy to say things have been much better. I'll soon reach one of the big goals I set for myself at the time of my transplant: in April I'll get to see my younger son graduate from college with a Bachelor's degree in architecture.

And, I'll be (almost) as proud when I receive my Master's degree in Museum Studies from Johns Hopkins University in May. It was a rather spur of the moment decision in late 2007 that led me to apply for graduate school. I've come to think of it as the gift I'm giving myself for having survived. I love it! Even when a nasty bout of bacterial pneumonia landed me in the hospital last November and almost forced me to drop out, I was able to persevere and finish the semester. It was a true test of the strength of my still-young immune system and it saved me. Since then, I'm pleased to report, I've been perfectly healthy.

Although I'm no longer serving on the AA&MDSIF Board of Directors, I have continued to support their efforts on behalf of AA, MDS, and PNH patients by helping to organize the first Hope, Steps & A Cure Walk in Los Angeles. In January of this year, with barely three months' planning, the LA Walk attracted more than 200 patients, families, and caregivers and raised nearly $13,000 to support the programs and services of the Foundation. Now, we are ramping up to expand our Walk for 2011 and hope to raise at least $35,000!

I've been pretty quiet here at Marrowforums since I've been in school, but I know you are in good hands with Neil providing his thoughtful guidance and information. It's really rewarding to see the ways in which you support each other, sharing the ups and downs we all have in dealing with bone marrow failure diseases. Being able to talk to others who understood what I was going through with AA, MDS, and transplant was a big part of what helped me get through it. I applaud you all for being seekers and givers of information and support.

Regards,
Ruth

Last edited by Ruth Cuadra : Thu Oct 7, 2010 at 03:54 PM.