View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 4, 2014, 10:28 AM

Chemical exposure and MDS/AML

Hi...it's been awhile since I was on here, a lot has gone on. My hubby had his BMT in Nov, was doing great but relapsed in Aug with the mds becoming aml and has been going through the chemo, transfusions etc ever since along with DLI. So far he seems to be maintaining but we haven't seen much if any improvement. Why I am answering this thread - I'm wondering if any others are out there with the same history as we have.

My husband while not in Vietnam - was stationed in different places during his 20+yrs in the air force. One he remembers vividly was when he was stationed in what he called a bomb dump - they would go in the silos and open the stored bombs to check for old, no longer useful if past safe date etc..this was back in the early 70s, there was no such thing as protective gear and he said a lot of times when you opened up the old bomb storage boxes a fine dust like stuff would float out and just fall on the men and cover them. He has no idea the chemicals that were in all the bombs but they were all strong and dangerous he is sure.

We have never approached the VA and I wonder if we should? Thanks for any knowledge you may have on this sort of situation. Laura