View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 07:37 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbrown View Post
Yeah, the trick is finding the best doctors. How is a mere mortal supposed to know where to look?

Deb
Deb,

It's hard enough for aplastic anemia patients to know when they have the best doctor, but even tougher for pure red cell aplasia patients. I'm glad you got to meet with Dr. Wells, who is one of the medical advisors to the Aplastic Anemia & Myelodysplasia Association of Canada (AAMAC).

To answer your question, new patients in Canada can ask AAMAC for help finding a doctor. I think it's smart for patients to go to a major treatment center, especially one known for AA treatment and research. Among the best known in Canada are Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (where Dr. Wells is) and Princess Margaret Hospital, both in Toronto. If patients need a doctor in their own province, AAMAC and its provincial chapters are again a good resource.

I don't know if everyone would agree, but I think the focus should be on finding the right treatment center, because once you are at the right treatment center you'll have the benefit of their joint expertise, and probably get a doctor with specific expertise as well.