View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 24, 2011, 07:54 AM

I think that's why it's so difficult to properly diagnose Lyme's disease. From what I understand, even if you test negative, they still take in clinical symptoms and history before ruling it out. Both false and positive results are inconclusive and treating based solely on the test is not done. Of course if you were bit and had the rash, they usually treat right away and don't even test since the anti-bodies won't show up for about one month. This is also true for most auto-immune testing. When I dealing some issues in the 90's, they ran a bunch of blood work and one of the tests was looking for syphilis anti-bodies...They were looking for a false-positive to confirm an autoimmune disease. Since it came back negative, they kept looking. This also happens with the HIV virus. There are other viruses that cross react.

Do you think the tic that got you was carrying some other infectious disease? I know we have few different ones here in the states.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.