View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 11:32 PM

Pathology Report - Does Anyone Understand This??

I got the CBC results today: WBC=2,400 - Platelets=24,000 - HGb = 9.5. Very close to the levels he was diagnosed with on 5/11.

Still no luck speaking to the Dr. regarding the pathology report. I'm trying to decipher it myself!

DIAGNOSIS: Pancytopenia with myelodysplastic features, subclass. uncertain, see comments.

The WBC is 2400 with residual lymphocytes consisting mainly of small lymphocytes. No blasts or nucleated RBC are detected. The hemoglobin is 10.1 grams percent with mildly macrocytic indices. Platelet count is 25,000 with no qualitative abnormalities.

Hypercellular aspirate smears reveal absent iron with no abnormal distribution detected. An adequate biopsy shows irregular hypercellularity averaging 60-70% with normal bone trabecular and marrow vasculature.

Megakaryocytes are increased, consisting mainly of immature and abnormal forms including micromegakaryctes. The myeloid/erythroid ratio is greater than 8 to 1 with a predominance of myeloid cells within limited maturation, although maturation proceeds. Mildly megaloid erythropoietic features are present. Accompanying flow cytometry reveals about 3% blasts are present.

The changes appear likely due to a myelodysplastic process, best classified as
refractory cytopenia with multilineage dysplasia.

This is like a foreign language to me. All I've understood so far is that they think he has RCMD.... I read that this can often lead to AML. Perhaps that's why the doctor gave a 50% chance of surviving for 6 months?

(Darice - I think the private messaging is a great idea. My posts must be getting tedious for the general public! Will go look for that option now.)