Thread: Aranesp
View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 7, 2007, 09:49 AM

Smile

Hi Kitty and everybody else on that thread,
I am 50-year-old RARS-female, dx in Feb. 2007 -
The shock of diagnosis was horrible, the first days I couldn't stay alone, because I was afraid "sth. severe would happen to me".
Now - as all the others - I have far or less integrated this wicked disease into may daily life.
Since 8 weeks I am on EPO, my HGB is around 11 through that aswell, I have re-achieved a good QOL. No side-effects, normal low blood pressure. I had been down to 9 and was suffering from real fatigue thus working full-time. I could not handle that anymore. Now I can go through the day as before the diagnosis and still there is some energy left!!!
The median time for the response on EPO is between 17 and 23 months and I pray that I will succeed in that range. I also know one MDS-patient in another forum who has been responding for 4 years now (only that he changed from Procrit to Aranesp or vice visa).

There is a lot of black talking around EPO for the time being, but this does not concern "normal" MDS-patients.
It concerns those, who have pushed their HGB-level over 12...then there is a great risk for blood-clots and those, who have tumors....probably EPO makes them grow or grow faster.
Greetings,
celebrations