Thread: Aranesp
View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 8, 2007, 10:05 PM

Lisa,

I am not Celebrations, but I have seen the two to three year figure from other forums and websites also (sorry I don't know where off the top of my head, you might try googling aranesp and mds). On another forum, there was one man for whom Aranesp and Procrit (he started on one then switched to another, but I forget the order) worked for 5 years. That is the longest I have seen so far.

I am surprised that they are keeping your husband in the 12-13 range. First because from what I understand it is rare for an MDS patient to even reach 12 (my highest has been 11.9, then it started back down to 11.1). So that is great for him that he can get that high! Second though, there are health concerns if EPO usage causes the hemoglobin to go above 12 (there has been a lot of recent discussion about that lately on-line, plus my hemo told me that at my last visit). My hospital order reads that the Aranesp is to be held if my hemoglobin reaches 12. The concern is blood clots. The research is about chemo patients, but it has carried over to MDS.

Zoe