View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 01:03 AM

upon returning home

Hi Heather!

I was in the hospital for a straight 6 weeks when I was going through my SAA. They would let me go outside when I wanted in the beginning but only if I had someone push me in a wheelchair because of fear I would fall. Therefore, I didnt get much exercise the whole time. After my transplant they would let me walk outside and to see my daughter in the lobby but never alone. Upon returning home, I was super weak. I think that played just as much as an emotional role as anything else in the recovery process. I was always active and when I got home all I could think was that I would never get my strength back. Not true at all! It took a couple of weeks but I was able to do a lot for myself after that time. I just had to keep moving. Keep your husband moving! He will be tired and he should get his rest, but staying active will help so much. I had a 3 month old to tend to so I knew I had to keep it up.

Another thing, about the sun exposure. Yes, be super careful..but tell your husband to not be afraid to step outside for a few minutes and warm his body up. When my NP first told me I would never be able to spend time in the sun again I was devastated. Now, by no means am I a beach bum (because I am a true red head) but I love being outdoors. So sunscreen is nothing new to me lol. But when they say to be careful, do so but dont think a minute or two in the the sun is bad.

Other than that, good luck to you guys and im glad youre moving forward with treatment.
You are strong! Stay positive and kick AA in the butt!