View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 5, 2014, 01:19 PM

When I was on immuno suppressants after transplant. They seemed to leech magnesium from my body. Prior to transplant I was on 1200 mg of mag. I was in the upper portion of the normal range. After transplant I was on 4000 mg IV and still below limit. This lead to restless legs and cramps. To get this much magnesium orally would have been 13 each of the 400 mg tablets. I was assured that this would cause big time diarrhea and it would be difficult to spread them out to get absorption. Since my mag level was below limit I convinced them to administer the mag daily before doing the testing. So I was getting my daily infusion while waiting for the lab results. This made for more efficient use of my time.

At day +63 my mag level is just 1.5 on 1600 mg of mag. Doctor says any more would not be absorbed. I still have RLS which is being treated effectively with oxycodone.

For me the worst was the two weeks after transplant. I felt really crummy, overwhelming fatigue, nausea, and couldn't eat. After that I started feeling better.

I am not sure how you daughter will cope with medication. After transplant I was taking 34 pills a day. Bury them in a spoon of applesauce and they slide down easy.

I wish you and your daughter the best of luck and for your doctor the best of skill.

Ray