View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 29, 2020, 04:08 PM

Itching under control but ? Vidaza efficacy

A little update here. The itching got more under control after the end of the Bactrim order. I was doing fairly well with my numbers and had even gotten to 11 on my hgb, 145k in platelets, tho neutrophils only stayed in upper neutropenia stage. I had 3 rounds of Vidaza I. V. then 4 th round was at 50%, i was placed on Bactrim again for low wbc, for 10 days. the next round of Vidaza was going to be 5 days. It has been 9 weeks since my last Vidaza and yesterday was my first time back for 2 units of blood since Jan 15. My numbers before the transfusion were: anc 383, hgb 7.6, platelets steady at 25k (on 3/23 they were 134k). Oncologist meets Monday and is supposed to suggest another bmb and plans to resume Vidaza for 5 days starting Mon at 50%. I have serious doubts about wanting to have TX if numbers are as low on Mon. and I think it would take a miracle for them to improve by then. I question if the Vidaza is not working...then why am I going through this? Should I try to get a consult at Miami (Difficult to get to but not impossible).Will they want their own bmb? Is it time to see if there are any trials? I know this is long and windy, but if you have any knowledge or advice I would love to hear it. Ty for listening.
Mer, 77 yo f, patient; diagnosed MDS RAEB2, 12% blasts in Oct. 2019, currently on Vidaza, Retacrit, 2 completed tx, 3rd infusion at 50% due to low numbers at nadir, on prophylactic Bactrim for 0 neutrophils, Dx due to itching, monthly transfusions Nov,Dec. Feb #s at normal except for hg at 9.6...!