View Single Post
Old Tue May 12, 2020, 07:13 PM

Updating, Back to square one?

Well, not sure if I am posting in the right place, as I had no suggestions on my last post. I met with my oncologist and my numbers were just as bad. He suggested that it is every Doc’s dilemma trying to decide whether to withhold Vidaza when numbers are so low. He then said the worst that could happen if I resumed would be that I would need transfusions. So, I had the 50% Vidaza for 5 days. He decided that the Retacrit was not working, so that was discontinued for now. The Monday after end of treatment my ANC was at 202, platelets still at 25k, hemoglobin dropped to 7. Had two units of cells today. I read somewhere here that if you stop Vidaza for a long period of time, it is like starting over. It sure feels like it. So we will see what happens in the next couple of weeks and I guess do another bmb to see where we are. I still have two questions that I hope someone can give me info on.
1. If Retacrit doesn’t work has anyone tried Procrit?
2. If this has transformed to AML do we just continue on Vidaza anyway...or add something?
Thanks for your time in reading.
Mer
Mer, 77 yo f, patient; diagnosed MDS RAEB2, 12% blasts in Oct. 2019, currently on Vidaza, Retacrit, 2 completed tx, 3rd infusion at 50% due to low numbers at nadir, on prophylactic Bactrim for 0 neutrophils, Dx due to itching, monthly transfusions Nov,Dec. Feb #s at normal except for hg at 9.6...!