View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 24, 2006, 12:58 PM

MDS Patient Support Group Meeting-NYC-Dec.15,2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie View Post
Hi everyone~ I am new here and have been reading everyone's posts. I can not begin to tell you what a relief it is to read how you all seem to go on with your lives and continue to educate yourselves. You have certainly helped me to educate myself!! You have helped me to have a much, much more hopeful attitude toward my future. I have a few questions, but first, some of my info:

The doctors I am currently seeing are at Weill Cornell in NYC. The last time I was there (two weeks ago) they said they couldn't tell if I was heading into MDS without another BMBiopsy, and if I got any worse they would probably do ATG. They keep saying I have bone marrow failure, but can't be more specific. Here's the whole story:

I became very weak during workouts (yes, another person who was very healthy and active before AA) a year ago, had levels of HGB 8, RBC 2.4, WBC 3, Platete 130k and the first tx, bmbiopsy by March. That first dr. said MDS with no chromosomal abnormality, wanted to start me on revlimid immediately. 2nd opinion dr. wanted to do more tests, didn't think I did have MDS, but had no idea what I had. The current drs., 3rd opinion at Weill Cornell, a 2nd tx and another BMB in June. They started me on Procrit in April, and it took awhile, but with Procrit alone I had stayed at Hgb @ 10, WBC and Platelets rising too. Unfortunately I have dropped some the last month, but I continue to purify my diet, try to get rest and exercise, and otherwise research supplements, etc.and possible future treatment, if needed.

My questions to all of you are these:

If AA is thought to be auto-immune in nature, should ANA titers be positive? Or does it not manifest that way?

Do you think it is possible I have already contracted Hep C from tx? because I donated blood many times over the years, and never tested positive for it before... I tested very very low viral load a few months ago.

thanks everyone, for your inspiration. I'm sure I will have many more questions! I will probably post this at other forums as well. Can't hurt to search out the most data!

Jennie
Dear Jennie,
Hope you have signed up for the meeting Dec. 15th in Manhattan. Then you can ask different questions and we should learn more about AA & MDS.
Look forward to seeing you there.
Monica Meyer