View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 13, 2018, 07:44 PM

Must be a scary time for you in your situation, Wifemomof5. My husband had a serious brain injury when I was pregnant with our 4th. Pales in comparison but it was scary for me at the time.

I can only address the bone marrow biopsy. I was a nervous wreck and put it off for weeks. I would literally begin shaking in my doctor's office when we tried to discuss it, because of the horror stories I'd read online. I wanted IV sedation but oncologist said they couldn't do that in the outpatient setting. Finally, he agreed to prescribe Ativan, taking one on arising the morning of the procedure and another a half hour before it. It alleviated the anxiety and also had an slight amnesic effect so I didn't remember much of the procedure afterwards. One nurse and I laugh about it to this day because she held my hands and her face was right in mine but when I met her at the clinic a couple of weeks later for the results, it was like I was meeting her for the first time, I had no recollection of her being there during the procedure.

And the procedure didn't hurt at all. I felt the needle for the local anesthetic but that was no worse than a blood test, really. Then I felt tugging and pressure feelings but no pain. I've had two now following the same procedure with the same doctor.

I hope this helps. And I hope things work out for you all.
Joanne
Joanne, 65F, 8/17 dx Primary MDS-EB1, Pancytopenia; 6/19 MPN w/CMML characteristics, dr calling it AML even w/blasts <20%; 7/19 Induction w/Vyxeos resulting in complete remission with incomplete blood count recovery.