Thread: No Posts
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 08:45 PM
Owner

Thanks for the suggestion, David.

Today's Posts and New Posts work as you describe:
Today's Posts is on a 24-hour clock and gives the same results (at any given day and time) for everyone.

New Posts keeps track of the last time you visited, so it knows what's happened since then, even if it's been a while since your last visit. Since it stores this information in your account in the database, it requires you to be logged in, so it knows whose account to update.
People who visit only occasionally probably don't want to see every post since their last visit. They're more likely to browse specific forums or do a search.

For regulars like you, I'd suggest checking the Remember Me? checkbox when you log in, then don't log out when you're done looking around. That way the forum software will know you each time you visit, without the trouble to log in and out, and New Posts will show you what you've missed. Technically, it means that Marrowforums leaves a cookie in your web browser that it uses to recognize you.

With some social sites, staying logged in has a disadvantage, because the site may track your online activity. We consider that an invasion of privacy. Marrowforums counts views of forum threads (anonymously), counts the number of posts you've made, and notes the last time you visited, but it doesn't otherwise track what you do online. The primary reason NOT to use the Remember Me? feature is if someone else has access to your computer, or you're using a public computer, because in that case somebody else could visit Marrowforums and have access to your account.