Thread: Losing it
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 09:20 PM

Hi there,

If you could add a signature in "my settings" that included your age, date you were diagnosed, treatments you have already received including past transfusions if you've had any, that could help complete your picture.

Your counts do seem to be trending down and if they go down much further, you'll be needing platelets and red blood cells to sustain your energy and safety. Your ANC isn't too rich but you're safe from infections for the most part as long as it stays above 500.

When you speak of going to BMT does that mean you've had a round of ATG already? If you haven't had ATG yet and do not have a well matched sibling, I'd think you should be having ATG in the very near future, i.e. next few weeks to a month from now, provided of course your counts continue as they are currently or especially if they go down further. If you've had ATG and have had no real sustained response, then it is quite likely that you'll need to light the fires re: BMT. A few things about delaying BMT to consider: the longer you go with an ANC of 500 or below, the more likely it is that you will pick up a potentially lethal fungal infection; the more red cell and platelet transfusions you receive, the more antibodies you develop (not to mention iron overload which can tax the liver). Both of these factors can seriously impact the success of a BMT. All that to say that time is of the essence. You don't need to prepare for either of these treatments tomorrow, but discussions regarding next moves including securing a potential marrow donor should be happening now.

Hope this helps.
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil