View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 12:22 PM

New Watch and Wait

I just found this forum last night. I have had consistently low platelets for 18 years that I know of. I am 54 now. My white cells have been up and down over the years, but mostly normal. I am followed yearly by an oncologist/hematologist. It used to be more frequent, but I talked him into seeing me yearly. Why go more often when counts stay close to the same? He agreed.

For the last five years, things have been changing. Platelets gradually getting lower after hanging in the upper 110-120 range with a high MPV. Now after 2 visits to my primary physician for other issues, I find my platelets are staying in the 80's. In addition my white blood cells have dropped from 3.3 to normal down to 2.9. Something else new is my granulytes have decided to go below normal too. My RBC, HGB, and HCT are all on the border of going below normal too.

I am not really freaked out by this or anything since I have been watching this for so long. I have a peace about it and won't let go of that. I am curious about something. With my white cells going below normal now, and with the GRAN, which I know includes neutrophils going below normal too, do I need to be avoiding being around people with all the flu and virus stuff going around?

At this for a while, but still am learning, especially with the new changes taking place. I also want to let you know I read nearly all the posts through 2012 last night. You are all in my prayers. I can say, reading your posts was helpful to me. Thank you.