View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 03:46 AM

My dear father is hospitalized today. He couldn't handle the situation of having fever for long time and couldn't eat much. He felt lethargic and even found it difficult to walk. He probably will need transfusion. What bothers us is the fever. I don't know what medication other than antibiotics the doctor would use to fight the infectious. My parents tried to avoid letting me know the situation coz they don't want me to be worried. I didn't get the opportunity to read the Bone Marrow Biopsy report till recently, I haven't got the CBC from them yet. They told me CBC shows worse situation than Bone Marrow Biopsy result,is that normal? In the BMB report, Neutrophil is 15%, Eosinophil is 1%, Hct 10.5%, , Lymph 68%, blast 4%. The shapes of all the cells are generally normal. No megakaryocyte found, platelet is low. No cancer cell found. The result is MDS-RAEB. I know there is RAEB-1 and -2 from reading, it is said 5-9% blasts is RAEB-1 AND 10-19% blasts are RAEB-2. I am a little confused about this.Anybody who knows how to read these numbers can tell me, how severe it is? My father has been taking Tretinoin,Thalidomide and Calcitriol which did work for him before but seems not anymore. Tonigt I just read some posts about Vitamin K2 and D3 might work to improve red blood count and platelet, it is said it is for low-risk patient. I don't know if my father is still low-risk... Anybody could tell me? He has visited a few doctors and hasn't found a right one.