View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Joseph View Post
My wife has MDS and is transfusion dependent. So far, none of the drugs (such as Revlimid) have helped the underlying disease; the transfusions of RBC make her feel much better, however.

Question: How do doctor's decide how many units of packed cells to give a patient? I get the feeling that they look at the HGB value, check the patient's weight, and go to a (perhaps mental) chart that says "2 units" or whatever. Is there an actual formula that is used to determine how much to give in a given situation?

Thanks,

Jeff Joseph
Hi Jeff,
In receiving transfusions, another factor to consider is how much fluids a person can handle. I would imagine that most can handle 2 units, that is what I have received. I did receive 3 when I was first diagnosed and once when I was very low and about to travel. The standard is 2 units. I have never heard of weight being a factor. Usually just HGB and age. Wendy mentioned her son gets 3 units, he is young and his body can filter out the excess fluids. As we get older , you have tobe careful of that. So my suggestion would be to have her receive the 2 units , get her to a comfortable HGB and then do not let it get lower than that. I used to be able to handle a 7 - 8 HGB but being more active now and get older - 8 years later, I don't like going under 8. So shoot for a HGB level that is comfortable for you and transfuse when it gets lower than that. Good-luck, Neece

Last edited by Neece : Mon Apr 30, 2007 at 10:43 PM.