View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 12, 2013, 07:25 AM

So scared and confused...please help?

Hello everyone, I am new to this site. 3 weeks ago my mom's platelets dropped to 25. She is 70 but seems more like 50. She is very healthy, active and energetic. Since the day her platelets dropped it's been a roller coaster. She has the little red dots and the bruising. Her platelets keep dropping and then she gets a transfusion and they go up but they drop again. They drop between 10 and 6 a day. They have been as low as 7. She hasn't had any bleeding and she looks and feels great. She is slightly anemic and her lymphocites are a smidgen high but the rest of her blood work is normal. She has been on cyclosporin and blood clotters for about a week. She and my dad, who are usually so active, have become terrified of everything. They are so scared and they have stopped doing all the things they love. They have been married for 50 years and my mom has made dinner for my dad every nite of those 50 years. She hasn't made dinner because she is afraid to bump herself. We used to go shopping once a week and now she won't go. She used to see her grand children all the time and now she afraid to see them because she doesn't want to catch a virus. My dad practically spoon feeds her. I'm so worried about them. I don't know much about these diseases but I don't think they should get ready for her to die! The doctors aren't sure what is causing her symptoms yet. They have metioned AA and MDS but can't confirm it. She will b seeing a doctor at Yale New Haven's Smilow Center and we hoping for more answers. If anyone has any advice or answers for me and for them it would be so appreciated. I love my mom. She is my best friend and I can't stand to see her this way when she is still so healthy and has so much to live for. She just became a grandmother for the 6th time and it's the first baby girl! She has wanted a grandaughter for so long. I just don't want her to give up and I think if we had some understanding of what is going on and that she could be okay it may bring some hope for her. Thanks for listening.