View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 09:12 AM

Neither my mother or my father have ever really been sick their whole life. None of us have. The last time my mother was in the hospital was when she had my sister 39 years ago...lol. Neither of them have ever had to take any medications. They are just so niave when it comes to doctors. They don't have copies of any of my mom's blood work (except for the last one that referred to) or her BMB. I actually have quit my job so that I can go to all of the doctor's appts, blood work, and transfusions. I am confuse as to why she wasn't on the Prednisone for long myself. I think she was only on it for about a week when they tapered her off. Her last dose was Friday. They have her on 700mg of cyclosporine and she takes 6 amicar tabs 3 times a day. That's a lot of amicar. her platelets when down to 7 and they gave her 1 unit of platelets and it went up to 13. Yesterday (saturaday) they gave her 4 units and she has blood work tomorrow am (monday). I'm interested to see what her counts are. She does have hypothyroidism. She has been taking levothyroxin for years. She also took Fosomax for about 6 years and she has been off of it for about a year. I've read some research that both medications can cause low platelets but I'm not sure if it pertains to my moms platelet issue or not. I may ask about that in the "drug" thread. I really can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. This is all so new to us and scary. Any info helps. I told my mom that knowledge is power and if she is too overwhelmed to find out all she needs to know then I will do it for her. Thank you.