View Single Post
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 01:33 PM

jmajjb,

Very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. A couple of answers to your questions 1) the mayo clinic is a great place to go for a second opinion and complete diagnosis. 2) transplant may be an option and depends on the availability of a donor, your overall health, and the status of your underlying disease.

The hardest thing to do at diagnosis is to breathe, and accept that you are here today and probably in pretty good health and spirits. Bone marrow failure diseases are day at a time adventures, and you have to focus on the moment while planning for the future.

I am 40, it has been about 90 days from my unrelated donor transplant. It is not an easy path, but it is one that I would not hesitate to do again given the current state of medical technology and where the development of drugs has taken us thus far, meaning that my disease had progressed to the point where transplant was rapidly becoming the last best hope.

I wish you great luck when you head over to Mayo and that you receive the advice and information that you are ready for.

Dan
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.