View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 1, 2015, 06:46 AM

...and so it starts....

My mother (78 yrs old) was diagnosed with MDS 8 months ago. This is her 3rd bout with cancer. Colon cancer 25 yrs ago, breast cancer 2 yrs ago and now this.

At time of diagnosis, her blasts were 13% - last bone marrow biopsy 2 mts ago showed improvement (not sure of exact result....waiting to see her oncologist...)

She started on Vidaza immediately after diagnosis and has, so far, tolerated it very well. Until this past week, everything was going well.....and we were all getting used to her new normal. Last week, she developed a cold--- started a fever so was admitted to hospital and has been on high grade antibiotics since. Fever is gone, but white blood count is very low so they are keeping her in isolation. Yesterday, she developed sore throat/ear and they discovered her glands were swollen on one side of her neck. She is getting more worried by the day..... she's a very active and social butterfly so being in isolation during a miserably cold and stormy week in Eastern Canada has not helped her disposition one bit.

Like all of you out there, looking for encouragement and more information.

Since day 1, I have been praying and hoping that my mom is like the gentleman I met during one of her 1st Vidaza treatment that was into his 4th yr and still doing very well.....He was the same age as well, so it was encouraging to see.

During her last app't at her oncologist ( 2 mts ago), he was very pleased with her response to Vidaza.....in fact, her doctor said that she was doing better than all of his current patients.....

I am new to this forum.... apologies for rambling on.... and looking forward to hearing from you...

Greetings to all from Eastern Canada!
Annette