View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 2, 2009, 02:59 PM

When to start Chemo?

My husband was diagnosed with RAEB-1 in April 2008. The doctor started a regimen of Procrit which hasn't seemed to increased red blood cell count. My husband was given a transfusion in October when his HGB dropped to 7.3 and a second transfusion in December. His white blood cell count is currently 4.5, platelett count currently 69. The doctor wants to do another bone marrow test (last and only one was in April 2008). She is telling us that it is up to us to determine when to start with Vidaza, but the sooner we start, the higher the counts will be at their lowest points during the Vidaza treatment - thus minimizing dangers of infection/illness/bleeding. My husband is feeling pretty good most of time and would like to postpone beginning treatment if that is a reasonable thing to do. We must make the decision and we are feeling like we don't know enough to do a good job of that. The bone marrow results will be another piece of info that we consider, but we need advice/more info. Please give us your advice!