View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 9, 2007, 11:03 PM

Krista,

As long as you aren't having any "wet" bleeding symptoms (blood in urine or stool, oozing gums, bloody nose that won't stop) you should be fine until Friday. Bruising is certainly a sign of low platelets but 24 should hold you.

There are lots of reasons why your counts could have dropped. Are you feeling OK? Fever? Any sign of viral illness? If you were coming down with something, it could easily slam your counts. Are you able to tell whether your hemoglobin is low as well? Tired, pale, dizzy, headache, rapid pulse?

Of course, it could be a relapse and I completely understand your worry. However, depending on what your counts look like, the doc may just suggest that you increase your cyclosporine to see if that has an effect on your counts.

Remember if you had a good response the first time, it is quite probable that you will respond again if a second round of ATG is needed.

If it is just platelets that have dropped, can you think of anything in your diet/life/environment that has changed recently? Maybe nothing but I know those are the things I am always considering when my son's counts fluctuate.
No red wine, aspirin, ibuprofen, tonic water which all lower platelets.

Be sure to take care of yourself, plenty of rest and water drinking and a good diet. Stay away from alcohol. Do some light exercising... just in general take care of your body.

Hope this helps a little.

Wendy/mom to Grant
dx 12/4/98 AA