View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 25, 2021, 06:49 PM

How know when to do transplant?

I'm sure this has been discussed many times on this forum, but I wasn't sure where / how to look for it. I have had reasonably stable pancytopenia / moderate AA for several years now. In fact, it was first diagnosed in 2000, and I have been monitoring it ever since with regular CBCs, occasional BMBs, etc.

My question is: What is the "trigger" for deciding to have a stem cell transplant? Is it best to do it when you are younger / somewhat healthy so that you will be stronger? Is it best to wait until your counts are such that you really have no choice (i.e. as a last resort) due to the risk? Has technology reduced the risk of a stem cell transplant to the point it is a more attractive option earlier in the process? Is a transplant worth the risk to gain an improvement in life-quality?

Ok, I guess that was more than one question...

My counts have been low, but stable for many years. As long as things continue as they are, I could continue to live this way indefinitely -- but if I could find a way to be rid of AA completely, that is also quite intriguing to me. Just looking at options... and I'd love to hear what you folks think.

David M