View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 12, 2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mseth View Post
Hi Teo,

Doctor does not recommend Danazol as it may cause hepatic(liver) toxicity. And more importantly it is not part of the MDS treatment protocol. My mother has a confirmed MDS dx.

RDW(red cell distribution width) is always included in a CBC test at the lab we use, after transfusion the RDW is closer to normal range and before transfusion it is always high. It seems to be reverse for your mother. I dont think this is of much significance. Hb of 9.9 is very good, is this just after transfusion?

TLC can also drop due to chelation or any drug as I understand. TLC of 3.8 is not a worry. After start of chelation my mothers TLC also dropped, but still low normal till last report.
Hi Mseth,

Personal i think all medications have the side effects depending to individual body condition. If other treatments doesnt help in your mom HGB, it might be worth trying Danazol or Danazol + Prednisone, plus monitoring the liver status if that's what the treating doctor concerned about.

As my mom RDW is always within/a little bit out of range before or after the BT, so this few months RDW is a big jump for her after consuming Danazol. Will monitor further.

HGB 9.9 is after having 1 pack of blood 8 days ago. The HGB before the BT is 8.7.

cheers
teo
Teo, son to Goh, age 71 dx mightbe MDS with low HB & RBC Jan 2012; FE 7755 on Nov 2014 - 6*500mg ferriprox; BT every month since Feb 2012; BMB done July 2013 - no conclusive evidence of MDS or PRCA; EPO stopped Nov 2013; Danazol 200mg*2 starts Nov 2013 + cyclosporine 25mg*4 starts June 2015