View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 11:32 AM

update:

My Dad's condition has not improved.

He is now on dialysis and his body didnt seem to respond well to it. His heart rate increased and blood pressure dropped. They started him on even more meds and re-introduced the med to stop his muscles moving to conserve energy.

His MDS is getting progressively worse with his platelets very low (around 30) and his Hemaglobin and hematocrit low and not holding after transfusions. Now is white blood cells are beginning to drop for the first time and are around 5.

They stopped the procrit as it was not helping. Obviously they need to treat the MDS, likely with vidaza, but in his current condition I dont think they can. One doctor was considering just doing it and is having a meeting with all the other doctors today.

They have exhausted all their tests and have still found nothing as the source of infection, fevers and the decline in his condition, other than the obvious - his MDS. They are now testing for the most arbitrary things based on places he visited 10 years ago. So its gotten to the point where they are clutching at straws in my opinion.

Soon they will need to weigh up the risk with the reward and decide whather or not to actually treat the MDS, even in the state he is in now. Its very tough.

I will say that he has an unbelievable team now (likely some of the best in the world) so he is in good hands and we could not ask for better care. We all remain positive and know that my Dad is a fighter.......big time!!