View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 30, 2012, 09:24 PM

Oh My!

Boy, I'm not sure that a roller coaster ride comes close to the experiences you & your mother have been through. I'm having a little trouble following . . . did your mother actually have her bladder removed and then get told that she had never had bladder cancer? Didn't they biopsy before? Or was it that they had gotten it all with the radical cystectomy and the lymph nodes they removed as a part of the RC were all clear? Or was it that the ovarian cancer had metastasized to the bladder and that's where it was found first? Or is the ovarian cancer completely distinct from the bladder cancer? Whatever, it's pretty darned confusing. My husband was in the midst of bladder cancer treatment when his tMDS was discovered . . . it came from previous treatment for his non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and the stem cell transplant for that. His bladder cancer started in his kidney: the right renal pelvis. He still has his bladder and his kidney, and has not had a recurrence, but we watch with a cysto every 3 months and periodic scans. Right now, he has a pseudomonas infection in his bladder . . . I think that's often just part of life after dealing with bladder cancer. We rushed through the final treatment for the bladder cancer before we started dealing with the tMDS. I would sure be looking for the best team you can possibly put together to deal with all of this, and it is imperative that all your doctors talk to each other. You need someone in charge of things whom you both trust.
hubby 73, dx NHL 2001, CNS involvement. SCT (auto) 5/08 [dx UTUC renal pelvis, 2010/surgeries/MMC], MANY recurrences, chemos, surgeries, rad. dx t-MDS 3/11: IPSS 1.5 (Int-2); MDA 11, RCMD trilineage, inc. Fe, ring sideroblasts, 7q del/mono 7 (51.5%), 46,XY,t(6,17)(p22;q25)[4]/45,XY,-7[4]/46,XY[12].