View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 21, 2010, 04:44 PM

Where to inject?

I have been on Vidaza for 6 months now. Seven days of injections every 28 days. This is divided into two as too much in one injection so I have one in each arm or leg or tummy. Since it is in the fatty tissue just below skin surface none is too painful. I am however rather thin so nurses are amused by not being able to find any fat on me!
My weight dropped from 8stone 12lbs to 8 stone 3lbs but I have recently been able to get it back up to 8st 8lbs.
The nurses always ask where I would like the injection - arms, legs, tummy or backside. I used to go from arms to legs and back as I did not fancy it in the tummy or backside. The legs injections are not painfull but the after effects not good - I found walking v. painful and my balance became a bit wobbly.
I now go for arms and tummy (I have needed to inject myself with GCSF to stimulate Neutrophils as count has been down to 0.1 recently and after an initial need for a whisky before injection can now do it straight off - but still hate the point of the needle going in - I keep telling myself that it's either doing it myself or waiting for 2 hours in the hospital for someone else to do it). To get to the point tummy injections are ok as it does not interfere with my sleeping position. With a low platelet level (5.0 this week so needed 2 x platlet bags) my tummy looks like a series of red and black mole hills - but who cares it does not hurt to much.
Oh and if you have hairy arms (men that is!) I suggest shaving the lower part of your arm (i.e. wrist) so when the plasters are taken off after a platelet trans it does not painfully rip the hairs of your wrist.
I have virtually no side effects from Vidaza - constipation and really bad stomach pains at first but now under control with Senna and Lactulose.
Hope this helps someone. Please ask questions if I can help.

Last edited by Nick : Sun Mar 21, 2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: incorect comments!