View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 4, 2011, 03:39 PM

"unrelated" illnesses

I too have often wondered, that previous illness could predispose us to certain illnesses later in life. When I was an 8 month old baby, I had my first fight for my life. I can contracted, Erysipelas (aka St Anthony's Fire)
and ran such high fevers that blisters formed and my skin fell off in my father's hands. Burning up and too hot to wear a diaper! It was from a strep virus that I apparently contracted crawling on the floor..........nobody knew what it was, but it came on fast and hard! They treated it just it time, so I've been told....
I just Googled it and found something interesting:

What is it?
Erysipelas is an acute infection of the skin and underlying fat tissues – usually caused by the streptococcus bacteria.

Who is at most risk?
This highly unpleasant condition is most common in elderly people. It's also seen in the very young and in people with immune-deficiency (due to HIV or cancer of the components of the blood for example).

Immune-deficiency? Cancer of the components of the blood? Hmmm....
Which came first? I'll never know! But I survived, grew up and went on to have 2 children, so I always figured the two were unrelated. I think we all have some inherent physical weaknesses--I have virtually always felt tired and drained--low stamina, need lots of sleep--that's why a Hemoglobin Level of 7 or less, doesn't leave me feeling that different!
And I thought I had LYME (again) when I was first diagnosed with AML!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly