View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 11, 2015, 08:45 AM

I have found platelet transfusions to be kind of funny as to why they take and when they take. Even without antibodies, a platelet transfusion may or may not have an immediate impact on numbers. I had been on watch and wait for nearly 5 years, but when it came to transplant time, I had to have some dental work done. I did not receive any platelet transfusions during this time period, but resided in the 20-30k range. Over the course of two weeks, i received several transfusions to allow for the dental work and to allow for the placement of my triple lumen catheter. As noted, I didn't have any sign of anti-platelet antibodies or other causes of rejection, but here is what we did find - Fresh platelets and matched blood type seemed to give me a nicer boost. Platelets only have about a ten day life cycle, so anything that is near expiration, especially if you had platelet destruction going on internally, would probably not give a very good or durable boost and appear to be refractory. HLA matching has worked well for other members of the forum, but from what I understand this takes a couple of days each time that you need platelets, whereas the blood type and dating are easier to accommodate in the absence of the antibody issue.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.