Thread: MDS and fever
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 1, 2010, 10:42 AM

fever and sweats

Hi,

I went through a few years of low grade fever and night sweats, just once in a while at first, then finally nightly about a year ago. As my fever stayed under 101.5 my GP wasn't too concerned. Most likely the cause was just pre-menopausal symptoms. Turns out that wasn't it at all. So in August when I was dx with MDS I was told by a hematologist that MDS causes these things. I take tylenol and usually keep it down in the 99's. Night sweats are drenching to the point of changing sheets and jamies in the middle of the night once or twice. Finally started putting towels over the wet sheets so as to not wake up my husband but still changing night gowns once or twice. Sometimes I'd just dispense with the clothing and lay on top of the sheets with the ceiling fan on. Still have sweats and fever but I feel better.

Since starting Procrit shots two months ago, the sweats are even more prevalent than before which is very frustrating. Fever still staying under 101 though. However, the Procrit has not relieve tx dependence and only after being bumped up to the max dose last month has a slow down in the drop of my hemoglobin happened. That slow down will not get rid of the tx dependence so we are going to switch to Vidaza in January. Wanted to get past the holiday's first. I'm curious to find out if the sweats and fever will continue with the Vidaza?