View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 11, 2012, 05:29 AM

Such good results

I have a concern and I am not sure how to ask about it. My husband Dean just completed his second cycle of Dacogen on Friday.

Prior to this,after his first cycle of Dacogen he was admitted to the hospital on July 17, with very low WBC and platelets. Dean's doctor gave him blood and platelet transfusions, along with antibiotics since his WBC was so low. When admitted to the hospital, Dean's WBC was 0.3 and his platelets were 3. His HGB was just over 8.

While in the hospital, Dean also began receiving an injection of Neupogen everyday for two weeks. The last injection was last Friday, August 3. On Wednesday, August 1, Dean received his last transfusion of 2 units of blood, and 4 units of platelets. Dean's counts didn't seem to be recovering, but finally on Thursday, August 2, there was an increase, his WBC was 1.5 and his platelets were over 60 and climbing.

Monday, August 6 he began his second cycle of Dacogen and everyday his counts increased. On Friday his WBC was 6.7, RBC 3.34, HGB 9.8, PLTS 180.

I know I should be jumping for joy, but it just seems to good to be true. Has anyone heard of someone having this good of a response after just two cycles of Dacagon. I should mention that Dean's counts began to improve before this second cycle, why he was receiving the Neupogen injections.

Dean's diagnosis the end of June was RAEB-t, with 17% blasts. Now we are being told he is in complete remission and may not need to complete the Dacogen treatments. The doctor said he doesn't see anymore blasts. Would the blood work show that, because Dean has not had a second BMB.

The doctor is putting Dean on Revliimid, other than that he isn't saying much more.

I liked Dean's doctor at first, but I am beginning to realize he doesn't tell us very much, just goes over everything real fast, it is making me feel uneasy.

Should Dean get another BMB? Has anyone heard of someone stopping Dacogen after just two cycles? Can someone have complete remission so soon?

This is all so new to me, and I may be worrying for no reason. Please forgive me.

I guess I just want to know if it is possible to have a remission so soon and should Dean have another BMB. Also is it wise to stop the Dacogen after only two cycles?

Thank you for any answers you can give me. I just don't feel comfortable with the doctor at the moment, he isn't answering my concerns, seems to just want me to accept the fact that Dean is in remission.
Dean,age 76, dx MDS, RAEB-2, 17% blasts, June 2012 - May 2013 - Dacogen with Neupogen and transfusions as needed. End of May 2013 Dacogen stopped working. BMB July 2013 shows RAEB-2 and severe Myelofibrosis. Passed away September 30, 2013

Last edited by PattiDean : Sat Aug 11, 2012 at 07:02 AM.